I hope that you have been able to find time for recreation, rest, and reconnection over the summer holiday. In anticipation of the new year, I write to share schedule changes for our middle division and other information relevant to our return to school.
Over the last six months, our administration, program committee, and teachers have made minor modifications to our daily schedule that respond to community feedback we received during last spring’s self-study and external review.
We will maintain an eight-day rotating daily schedule with the following features:
- 4 70-minute academic classes per day
- Community time, advisory, social and emotional learning, and assembly time
- Office hours during which students can begin assignments and meet with teachers
- 8:20 a.m. start time for class on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday
- 9:00 a.m. start time for class on Tuesday to afford teachers time to meet with one another
The middle division will implement the following modifications:
- 60-minute lunch period
- Office hours for all middle division students at the end of the academic day
- 3:15 p.m. dismissal
The Big Read
As you are aware, in June our students and teachers from PK through Grade 8 were invited to participate in a community-wide author study featuring the work of Jaqueline Woodson. As we return to campus, you will receive communication and updates related to our community engagement with her books. If you do not already have a copy of one of her books, please swing by the office–we have a few extra copies of several titles and will be happy to share them.
Orientation will take place on August 23 from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.. Students will be greeted by their advisors and preview their schedules. More information about the details of the day can be found through your guardian Pirate Page. Please reach out to me with any additional questions.
We are eager to welcome new and returning students onto the mighty Carmel Campus.
Dean of the Middle Division